Bigfoot Encounter in Carroll County. This area is close to where I have done research in Carroll County.I also know where this area is.

Bigfoot Encounter Carroll County Ohio

In the spring of 1976 two friends and I were looking for something to do after school. It was a beautiful spring day and we decided to go explore an old abandoned house that we had heard local ghost stories about. We lived in Carrol County, Ohio but the old house was close to Stark County but still just a few miles away from us so it was a short drive for us. We drove down Route 183 and turned off to the right before we got to Minerva, Ohio. I don't remember the name of the road we turned off on. The house set back deep in the woods off the main roads and we made another right onto a small dirt road that was suppose to lead up to the old house. We only got about 200 feet down the dirt road when we had to stop. A tree had fallen across the road completely blocking it. We tried to move the tree but it was too big so we just decided to hike the rest of the way. The dirt road was surrounded by woods and we were enjoying the scenery and the good weather and just talking as we hiked. We had been walking about 20 to 25 minutes when we heard a bunch of dogs barking from somewhere near us. We knew we weren't close to any other houses and we got concerned that the dogs may be wild dogs. We stood real still hoping they would go away but they just kept barking profusely. We decided we needed something to protect ourselves should the dogs come after us so we all broke off branches from some dead trees and made clubs to protect ourselves with. We hit the clubs we made from the branches against a tree to make sure they were sturdy. I didn't know the significance of that at the time. We didn't think it was a good idea to continue toward the house with all those dogs running around so we decided to head back toward the car. As we began walking back toward the car, the sound of the dogs barking seemed to change direction and be coming from up the dirt road ahead of us so in order to avoid them we got off the dirt road and started to loop around through the woods. It seemed to work as finally we couldn't hear the dogs anymore but by this time we had gotten turned around and were lost. It was getting late and the sun was beginning to set. We found a deer trail and started following it. We knew that there was water near the direction of the road we had turned on and that the deer probably used this trail to get to it. We were walking in single file along this deer trail. I was first in line. We came on a clearing in the woods with nothing but tall grass and that's when I noticed that the woods had gotten silent. I'd spent a lot of time in the woods and knew when it got quiet, something was not right. We stopped for a moment to listen but it was getting darker by the minute so we carried on. The last thing we wanted was to be stuck out there all night. We walked out of the clearing and back into the woods still on the deer trail. I saw an opening in the trees and what looked like a field. There was a field on the other side of the road we had drove on to get to the dirt road so I thought we had found our way out and we were all relieved. We were only about 50 or 60 feet away from the opening in the trees when I saw something squatting down behind some brush right by the opening in the trees. I saw it first and stopped. I asked the others if they saw it. None of us could make out exactly what it was. At first we thought it might be a man except that it was all white. It looked to me to be trying to hide from us behind the brush and bushes. It was in a squatting position and had it arms inside it's legs much like you would sit around a campfire warming your hands. At this point we were all still trying to figure out what it was we were seeing. We were just standing there staring at it not sure what to do. It must have realized we saw it because it then reached over and grabbed the bushes it was attempting to hide behind and started violently shaking them. Even some of the small sapling trees by it were shaking. This is when the fear set in with me and I'm sure with my friends as well. Now we were too afraid to move. I can only assume that the creature saw that it's actions hadn't scared us off and so at this time it suddenly stood up and faced us. It just stood there looking at us. It never made a sound or any gesture of any kind. It just stood there facing us with it's arms at it's side. When it stood up we all got a good enough look at it to know it must be a Bigfoot. This is when the "fight or flight" kicked in. I knew I wasn't about to turn around and go back into the woods from where we came but the Bigfoot was standing right by the opening in the trees we had been walking towards and what we thought was the way to our car. To this day I don't believe I have ever been more afraid. I felt an adrenaline rush like never before! I was still holding my club from earlier. I screamed and I threw the club in the direction of the Bigfoot. I started running toward the opening in the trees to what I hoped was the open field and the road to our car. My friends also both screamed and followed right behind me. As I was running I could see the Bigfoot on my left side. It was only about 7 or 8 feet away from us as we ran by it. It made no attempt to harm us and I could see that it was turning away and heading the other direction as we passed by. As we went through the opening in the trees the ground under our feet came out from under us. We had all ran right out over a large ditch and landed right on the edge of the road. We picked ourselves up and ran as fast as we could to the dirt road where we had parked the car. We wouldn't even drive back to town the way we came as we didn't want to go in the direction of the Bigfoot. We were all high school basketball players and all over six feet tall but this thing was enormous. I'm 6'4" and I estimated the creature to be at least 8 and 1/2 to 9 feet tall. I never got a good look at it's face because it was too dark. It had very broad shoulders and really long arms. It didn't seem to have much of a neck and had a sort of cone shaped elongated head. We never reported the incident to anyone for fear of being ridiculed. I have since learned much more about them and I'm quite confident should I ever see another I would react in a much different manner than I did when I was a teenager but it is now very easy for me to understand why it would scare people even if it means us no harm.

1 comment:

  1. Does the author of this story monitor this page? If so, I'd like you to contact me. If you'll respond to this post, I'll reply with an email address for you to contact me. Thank you!